Student Visa Extension - Australia Education Group

Extend Your Visa

All you need to know about Student Visa Extension in Australia

Many students studying in Australia would want to extend student visa due to a number of reasons. This is most important of all, that one needs to apply for a new visa before the current one expires. In case a student fails to apply on time, he may not be able to apply for any visa in Australia or he might have to face deportation from Australia. We recommend that international students apply for the student visa extension at least two weeks before the current visa expires. The best is to apply as soon as you plan to get the extension. When applying for a student visa extension, you will have to follow certain guidelines. Make sure all the documents are ready. Australia Education Group can help you in this phase by providing your proper assistance.

Update about Student Visa Extension:

If you want to stay in Australia but your visa is expiring soon, you need to get a visa extension. Remember, your student visa cannot be extended automatically. To apply for the visa extension, you will have to contact any Registered Migration agent in Australia or visit the Australian Immigration Authority. To extend your stay, you can either apply for a student visa extension after getting a new CoE or if you have already finished your studied you can be eligible to apply for TR Graduate visa (subclass 485).

  • Why You need a Professional Advisor

If you intend to lodge your visa application by yourself You might have to face certain issues in getting some visa services at this point. For example, you might have issues accessing the Immi Account. Since processing takes time, it is better to apply for a student visa extension as soon as possible. There might be some delays in getting appointments for medical tests. Moreover, you might also have to face some delays in biometrics and English testing. In case your visa has expired, you will have to apply for a bridging visa E. Through this visa, you get some additional time to do preparations for leaving the country or sort out any immigration-related problems to getting such services related to this matter you have to contact registered migration agent or Department of home affairs.

  • Professional Solution:

Many students studying in Australia want to extend student visa. Make sure you apply on time and follow all the guidelines. Keep all the documents ready at the time of visa application. If you need further assistance regarding student visa extension, you can contact Australia Education Group. We, at Australia Education Group, offer our students rigorous services starting from comprehensive career counseling, university selection, course selection, admission guidance, and only student visa extension procedure as per GTE (General Temporary Entrant), , scholarships. We assist our students in making informed decisions concerning their academic journey.

  • Steps to apply for a student visa extension:

If you are in Australia and your student visa is expiring, but you intend to study further, you will have to extend student visa with extended coe from your current education provider and You can apply from inside or outside of Australia, but the process for both is slightly different from onshore and offshore. You might be eligible for a Bridging Visa A if you apply from inside Australia. Through this visa, you can buy additional time to stay in the country while the new visa is in process. In case you are applying for the student visa extension offshore, you will have to wait for your visa decision before entering Australia. Below you can find the steps to apply for the visa extension.

Get in Touch

OR ( Beat Your Busy Schedule )

Book a Call

At first, you need to enroll in the course of your choice. To apply for the student visa extension, you must submit the Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE). Your CoE suggests that you have successfully secured a place in a university/college in Australia. Choosing the right course and university is a laborious undertaking. Seeking help from an expert will help you make the right decision. Australia Education Group can help you choose the best course and university, keeping your budget and academic needs in view. Contact our Melbourne or Perth office to know your options.  

To study and stay in Australia, you would need to have an Overseas Student Health Cover (OHSC). If you want to extend student visa, you will also have to extend the OHSC policy. Make sure you extend your OHSC until the expiry of the new visa. You will have to get in touch with any your education or Migration agent in Australia.

Once you have your CoE and secured OSHC, you can collect all the required documents to apply for the extension. You can use Document Checklist Tool to ensure that all the documents are ready. Usually, when applying for the student visa extension, you will need to provide the following documents. However, the documents required to be submitted might differ depending on the reason you are applying for. These documents include OSHC, and Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) Official transcript of your current studies.

  • First two pages of Passport 
  • Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) 
  • Proof of English Proficiency 
  • Professional Experience (if applicable)
  • Marriage certificate (if applicable)
  • Overseas Student Health Cover (OHSC) 
  • A Statement of Purpose (SOP) 
  • Financial documents such as Bank statement 
  • To show your current financial state, you will have to:
  • Prove that you have sufficient funds to cover your tuition fee and cost of living for a year for yourself and accompanying family members (if any).
  • Prove that you or your sponsor can bear your cost of living and education 

*Note that students from level 1 university or college do not need to provide evidence of funds. Only students from level 2 and level 3 have to provide evidence of funds. 

To apply for the Australian student visa application, you will have to pay AUD $630. Access your Immi Account, gather all the required documents, attach them and apply. Once done, the Home Office will send you a letter of acknowledgment. In case you have applied for a student visa extension onshore, you will get your Bridging Visa A. Make sure you keep checking your email frequently, so you don’t miss any emails from the Department of Home Affairs.

Once you apply, you might be asked for biometrics right away. The request to submit biometrics will be made through a letter. The request can also be seen on your ImmiAccount. Usually, students are provided 28 days to submit their biometrics. However, due to covid-19, this time period has extended and students can submit their biometrics within 3 months. It is recommended to provide your biometrics as soon as you receive the letter. 

To provide evidence of good health, you will have to undergo some medical tests and examinations. If your last medical checkup was more than a year ago, then you will have to go for a medical examination. You will have to take a medical appointment online after which you will receive a letter having a HAP ID number. After the medical examination, the Department of Home Affairs will receive a report from the eMedical service for further valuation. 

If you applied for the student visa extension onshore, you will be provided a Bridging Visa A (BVA). Through a BVA, you can stay in Australia legally while the visa is processed. BVA gets activated as soon as you lodge application for extension and your current visa expires. Remember that the BVA gets canceled automatically once you leave Australia or decision for your visa is granted. 

Before traveling, make sure your current visa is valid. The Bridging Visa A will get canceled once you travel outside Australia. Though, students who have a BVA and got some strong reasons to travel can get a Bridging Visa B (BVB) which will allow them to travel back to Australia while the application is under process and Usually BVB can be granted for 3 Months to 1 year. To see whether you can travel on your current visa, you can check VEVO.

Upon receiving your visa application, your case officer will contact you for additional information or make the final decision without asking for further information..

If you are applying from offshore, you just have to lodge your visa application and wait for the decision. You will not be granted BVA or BVB. If the visa decision is positive, you can travel to Australia.